Published on February 20, 2013 by Casey
The Nuyaka Mission site is located in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma, approximately 15.7 miles west of the intersection of U.S. Route 75 and State Highway 56 (6th Street) in the City of Okmulgee, Oklahoma. The Nuyaka Mission is included on the National Register of Historic Places listings in Okmulgee County, Oklahoma. The mission was established by Alice Mary Robertson at the request of the Creek Council, and run by the Presbyterian Church. (She later was elected as the first woman US Representative from Oklahoma.)
dna testing, dna ancestry testing, ancestry, genealogy, indian genealogy records, paternity testing, turquoise jewelry, native american jewelry
Per the granite marker at the site: “Established in 1882 by the Creek Council, Nuyaka Mission was a boarding school for Boys and Girls by the Presbyterians from 1884 to 1899. The Creek Tribe then operated the school for ten years. From 1909 until 1921 it was operated by the Bureau of Indian Affairs. From 1921 to 1933 it was operated by the Baptists.
“In 1936, the buildings were removed and E.E. Mount bought the site to prevent its destruction. In 1937, his daughter and son-in-law, Oakla and Bill Spears bought the site and lived in the Dormitory Superintendent’s Home for 54 years.
“Interested in the site’s history, they interviewed former students and children of former superintendents. Their efforts led to the preservation of the property which they donated to the Oklahoma Historical Society in 1992.”
Pursuant to the Oklahoma Legislature’s Enrolled Senate Concurrent Resolution No. 25 in May 2003, ownership of the site was transferred from the Oklahoma Historical Society to the Nuyaka Homecoming Association and Historical Society, Inc.