Published on November 7, 2012 by Amy
Sacred Heart of Jesus Church was begun in March of 1936 and on September 14, 1936 was dedicated by the Most Rev. Rudolph Gherkin, DD Archbishop of Santa Fe.
native art, native american jewelry, native american rings, turquoise crafts, student loans, debt financing, native american astrology, native horoscopes, student debt, Indian Genealogy Records, family tree, native heritage, native jobs, native study, native students, native american university, grant, native ancestry, dna test
Building of the church was directed by Fr. Agnellus Lammert, OFM, and Fr. Kennth Robertson, OFM. The people of Mesita village helped with the construction of the church.
The village of Mesita celebrates three Patron Saints on August 15th, Feast of the Blessed Virgin Mary’s Assumption into Heaven, St. Anthony, and Sacred Heart of Jesus.
Hanging in the back of the church you will see the life size picture of “Our Lady of Guadalupe” . This painting was brought from Mexico by an unknown Priest and was given to the church in memory of Jose Jerome Shiosee. Pearl Shiosee the daughter of Jose Shiosee is currently a Sister of the Blessed Sacrament, who goes by the name of Sister Mary Rosita Shiosee.
In the 1940′s Mr. Jose Shiosee, known as Earl, taught the local boys how to serve Mass as Altar boys. He taught local boys and girls Latin music and Latin prayers till the children were able to sing and recite the prayers on their own.
The Staff Officer for the next two years is Charles Poncho. The Church officials are Claire Poncho- Chairperson, Jean Martin – Vise-Chair person, Clarice Chavez- Secretary & Treasure
Mass is held every second and fourth week of the month at 5:00 pm. Occasionally, mass times are switched with other villages during the summer months. Notifications of mass times will be posted in the Sunday bulletin in the event Mesita Mass has changed for the week.