Published on November 1, 2010 by John
Historically, the nomadic Innu lived on their hunting grounds of the interior during the winter and would move to the coast in the summer for salmon fishing and seal hunting. From as early as 1710, a trading post was established on the left (south) bank of the Natashquan River and later on the opposite bank to conduct fur trade with the indigenous. They gathered at the post during their annual migration and began to settle there permanently. The post was acquired by the Hudson’s Bay Company in the middle of the 19th century, but abandoned circa 1914 due to lack of profitability.
native art, native american jewelry, native american rings, turquoise crafts, student loans, debt financing, native american astrology, native horoscopes, student debt, Indian Genealogy Records, family tree, native heritage, native jobs, native study, native students, native american university, grant, native ancestry, dna test
In 1909, the first land survey was conducted for the creation of a reserve. In 1952, the first 20.5 acres (83,000 m2) of land were bought by the Government of Canada and transferred for the use by the Innu on March 31, 1953. The reserve was incrementally enlarged in 1954, 1970, and 1993.