Published on July 15, 2014 by Amy
The Choctaw Agency was established in 1825. Before 18225, the Choctaw Indians west of the Mississippi River had been assigned to the Red River or Caddo Agency. At the end of 1828, the agency reported that only eight Indians were under his supervision, since the main body of the Choctaws had not yet emigrated from their home country. From 1828 to 1831, the Choctaw Agency was reduced to a subagency under the Cherokee Agency.
dna testing, dna ancestry testing, ancestry, genealogy, indian genealogy records, paternity testing, turquoise jewelry, native american jewelry
In 1831, it again became a full agency, with headquarters on the Arkansas River above Fort Coffee, in what is now Oklahoma. From 1834 to 1837, it was known as the Southern Agency. In the mid-1850s, the agency was moved to Fort Towson on the Red River, in southeastern Oklahoma. In 1855, the Choctaw Agency took charge of the Chickasaw Indians and was then called the Choctaw and Chickasaw Agency.
During the Civil War, many Chickasaw and Choctaw joined the Confederacy. Those who remained loyal to the United States moved to Kansas, first at Leroy and then at the Sac & Foc Agency. After the War, the agency was moved first to Scullyville in 1866, and then to Boggy Depot in 1867. In 1874, the Choctaw Agency, the Creek Agency, and the Seminole Agency were all consolidated with the Cherokee Agency to form the Union Agency.
William McClellan 1825, David McClellan 1829, Francis W. Armstrong 1831, William Armstrong 1835, Samuel M. Rutherford 1847, John Drennen 1849, William Wilson 1851, Douglas H. Cooper 1853, Isaac Coleman 1861, Martin W. Chollar 1866, Capt. George T. Olmsted 1869, Theophilus D. Griffith 1870, and Albert Parsons 1873.