Published on January 28, 2013 by Carol
The Kipawa Lake area was inhabited by the Native Peoples, the Algonquins, for centuries. The first Europeans to come to the area were fur traders, who were then followed by the missionaries.
native art, native american jewelry, native american rings, turquoise crafts, student loans, debt financing, native american astrology, native horoscopes, student debt, Indian Genealogy Records, family tree, native heritage, native jobs, native study, native students, native american university, grant, native ancestry, dna test
The Hudson Bay Company had a trading post, or fort, on Kipawa Lake, situated on Hunter’s Lake and became known as Hunter’s Lodge.
By 1874 there were already a number of lumber camps and settlers. The lumber industry became great in the area and at one time there were upward of nineteen lumber companies with limits around the lake.
The village of Kipawa was visited by the Oblate missionaries in the 1880′s, as also was Hunter’s Point.
The coming of the railroad into Kipawa made the village the center of the logging industry, and the railroad remained the only regular means of transportation in and out of the village to Temiscamingue and beyond.
In December 1947, the last few miles of the road from Temiscamingue were at last finished. In the years following, hydro and telephones were introduced.
The coming of the road opened the Kipawa district to the tourist industry and Kipawa Lake became a veritable Mecca for the ardent fisherman, hunter and lover of scenic beauty and clear blue waters.