Published on May 9, 2012 by Amy
The Barona Group of Capitan Grande Band of Mission Indians of the Barona Reservation is a federally recognized tribe of Kumeyaay Indians, who are sometimes known as Mission Indians.
In 1875, the tribe along with the Viejas Group of Capitan Grande Band of Mission Indians, controls the Capitan Grande Reservation, which consisted of barren, uninhabitable mountain lands. The El Capitan Reservoir, forcibly purchased from the two tribes to provide water for San Diego, submerged what habitable land existed on the reservation. The two tribes jointly control this reservation. It is undeveloped but serves as an ecological preserve.
The Barona Reservation is a federal Indian reservation located in San Diego County, California, near Lakeside and the Cleveland National Forest. Founded in 1932, it is 5,181 acres (20.97 km2) large. Much of the highland valley has good farmland, the reservation hosts several ranches, a chapel, tribal offices, community center, and ball park, created by the tribe. In 1973, 125 of the 156 enrolled members lived on the reservation.
The Barona Band is headquartered in Lakeside, California. They are governed by a democratically elected, seven-person tribal council, who serve four-year terms. Their current administration is as follows:
The tribe owns and operates the Barona Resort and Casino, AmBience Day Spa, Barona Creek Golf Club, Barona Oaks Steakhouse, Sage Café, Ranch House Buffet, HoWan Noodle Shop, and several other restaurants all in Lakeside.